Saturday 10 May 2014

Bank Holiday Shopping with Morrisons

I was one of the lucky mums & dads who was selected to take part in Britmums and Morrisons #Morrisonsmum

Morrisons have launched their I'm cheaper campaign.

We used to shop at Morrisons as it is at the back of our house but we started shopping at Asda due to it being cheaper.  We would still go to Morrisons for items if we ran out as we could just walk round.

I was interested to see whether this new campaign would make our weekly shop cheaper.

When we arrived at the store it was decorated with big posters and balloons promoting the campaign



There were lots of signs around the store to let you know which items were cheaper






We managed to find most things we needed, there were a few items they didn't have.  As we went on a Friday afternoon before school finished the store wasn't too busy and our whole shopping experience took about 40 minutes.





Our total spend was £139.47 however we bought some offers which took the total to £134.75.  As I said before we didn't get everything we needed.  Was this cheaper than our usual weekly shop???  No I have to say it wasn't.



We love risotto.  It's a great meal to make when you have visitors too as it makes a lot and it isn't that difficult to make.

The price per serving (for 4 people) at Morrisons worked out at £2.36 each.




Every time I make risotto I make it slightly different.  There is a basic recipe that I stick to but one of the things I love about risotto is you can put anything in it, depending on what you have in the cupboard.  No one risotto is ever the same!

We always have king prawns and chorizo in our risotto.  This might be one of the reasons the price per serving is a little higher than you might expect.

Fry onions in a little oil






Add peppers and your sliced chorizo


Add king prawns and vegetables

Add the risotto or paella rice

Add 1000ml of boiled water with 2 stock cubes (I used 1 chicken and 1 vegetable).  Add spinach

Continue to stir until 80% of the water has been absorbed.  Add 2 handfuls of grated cheese.  Mature cheese is the best as it as a good taste.  Adding cheese adds a lovely gloss and creamy texture to your risotto

Serve!!

Including preparation it takes about 30minutes to make your risotto.  It is such a hearty meal.  You can add a lovely crusty bread on the side if you so wish.



I really enjoyed being a #MorrisonsMum.

Has this experience made me change where I carry out my weekly shop??  No it hasn't.

Whilst there were some good deals the total wasn't as cheap as my usual weekly shop.  As I am still on maternity leave money is tight and we have to consider how much we spend on everything.  Also I am lactose intolerant and the dairy free selection at my local Morrisons isn't as good as other supermarkets.

I will continue to go to Morrisons for items we need during the week such as bread if we run out.  


Disclaimer: I was given £80 of Morrisons vouchers to carry out a family food shop.  Views are my own. 








No comments:

Post a Comment