Wednesday 4 June 2014

Our weaning journey

The recommendation is that you try not to start weaning until your child is 6 months old.  We couldn't wait that long as Baby M just wasn't getting satisfied by his bottles.

I feel like I have no idea what I am doing.

Yes there are some great guides out there but I still feel a little lost

Breakfast is well established, Baby M loves his porridge.

Baby M still has a bottle at every "meal time" as I don't think he would be getting enough nutrients from food at the moment


We have been introducing different tastes & textures.  At both lunchtime and teatime. 

LOVES
Butternut Squash
Sweet Potato
Pear
Peaches

A LITTLE UNSURE OF
Carrot
Peas
Apple

DOESN'T APPEAR TO LIKE
Parsnip
Califlower
Broccoli






Baby M's response to a lot of food we've tried can best be described as a shudder.  It reminds me of when you try something bitter and your whole body shudders.

I tried him with a jar too - Sweet Chicken and Potato.  His reaction at first was a shudder but then his mouth kept opening for more.  This is a better reaction than with some of the vegetables I've made from scratch as he usually shudders then clamps his mouth shut.

My plan is to start mixing foods together.  I have Annabel Karmel's book - New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner so I am hoping some of these will be a hit.  I really want to try and make my own food rather than use jars.



How has weaning gone for others?  What struggles did you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment